According to the U.S. Veterans’ Administration, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009. This program will pay eligible individuals:

This benefit is payable only for training at an institution of higher learning (See comparison chart for more information). If you are enrolled exclusively in online training you will not receive the housing allowance. If you are on active duty you will not receive the housing allowance or books & supplies stipend. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

While you are attending Virginia Tech, the Office of Veterans Services will assist you in using your VA entitlement by processing VA forms for educational benefits and certifying enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. We also provide information regarding certain procedural requirements and other processes relevant to the Department of Veterans Affairs. 

It is the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to approve applications and to make decisions regarding payment, issuance of checks, and eligibility.  Beneficiaries who have questions regarding payment or eligibility should contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551. 

  • Once approved for transfer of CH33 benefits through the DOD, and a dependent child or spouse has applied and been approved for benefits using form 22-1990E, he/she will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs in his/her name. Please submit a copy of this COE to Virginia Tech’s Office of Veterans Services. The student will need to fill out the Virginia Tech VA Certification Form available on their Hokie Spa account.

The Veteran/Dependent Enrollment Verification Form should be submitted as soon as possible the Office of Veterans Services to avoid delays in receiving subsistence checks.  Please note that Virginia Tech will not certify students for VA educational benefits unless the student makes the request in writing.

VA beneficiaries who are academically suspended will be reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their subsistence check will be terminated.  Veterans or dependents of veterans who accept VA checks after being academically suspended will be charged by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair­s with an overpayment.

No. It is the veteran’s responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Services concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing the Virginia Tech VA Certification Form (through Hokie Spa) each academic semester.  Failure to submit this form will cause the payment cycle to be broken.

No. All courses taken during a term for which you have been certified for VA benefits must apply towards your degree. Veterans can be charged with an overpayment for any course taken which are not applicable toward their degree.  If you are in doubt as to whether certain courses are required for your degree, please contact your academic advisor, your academic dean’s office, or the Office of Veterans Services immediately as this could affect your VA benefits.

Courses taken on an audit basis cannot be used in computing enrollment status.  Undergraduate students must have 12 credit hours or more in regular A-F option, P/F option, or equivalent credit, not audit, to permit certification of full-time status.  When you report your enrollment status in Section 1, DO NOT include any courses taken under the audit option.  If you report and are certified for courses taken under the audit option, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs can charge you an overpayment.

Once a student has received a passing grade of D- or better in a course, she/he is typically no longer eligible for VA benefits for repeating that course.

VA beneficiaries required to take prerequisites must have their departments provide the Office of Veterans Services with a list of prerequisite courses.  Such a list should identify prerequisites by both course name and number.  The VA may charge beneficiaries who fail to do this with an overpayment for taking courses not included in their program.

All beneficiaries withdrawing or resigning from a semester or reducing their course load must notify, in writing, the Office of Veterans Services.  It may have an adverse impact on their eligibility for benefits.

All recipients of VA educational benefits must notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs of any major change by completing the appropriate form (VA From 22-1995 for recipients of chapter 30, 32, and 1606; VA Form 22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients).

All beneficiaries must notify, in writing, both the Office of Veterans Services and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs of any change of address.

All VA forms are available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website at or in the Office of Veterans Services.

For information  on resignations and withdrawals for students called into active duty, go to this link and click on the ACTIVE DUTY tab.

Check out this page for full details on steps to take to see if previous college course work and/or experience in the military may count for credit towards your degree.

Yes! Veterans@VT is an active local chapter of Student Veterans of America. They'd love for you to get involved!